While American corporate media has focused on yet another stale election between Wall Street-financed candidates, Occupy has been organizing something extraordinary: the first truly nationwide General Strike in U.S. history. Building on the international celebration of May Day, past General Strikes in U.S. cities like Seattle and Oakland, the recent May 1st Day Without An Immigrant demonstrations, the national general strikes in Spain this year, and the on-going student strike in Quebec, the Occupy Movement has called for A Day Without the 99% on May 1st, 2012. This in and of itself is a tremendous victory. For the first time, workers, students, immigrants, and the unemployed from over 115 U.S. cities will stand together for economic justice.
See below for what we believe to be the most comprehensive list yet compiled of cities where Occupy May Day events are being planned, as well as other resources. Note: This is a living document. Check back for updates! If you have any additional events, please let us know in the comment section of this article. You are encouraged to share this page in as many ways as possible!
- 6 Ways to Get Ready for the May 1st GENERAL STRIKE
- Why And How To Strike On May Day
- Global Facebook Event
- Follow on Twitter: @OWSMayDay | @OccupyGenStrk | @StrikeEverywher | @OccupyGenStrike | #M1GS | #GeneralStrike | #MayDay
- May Day Legal Fund
- May Day Fund NYC
Key City-wide May Day Sites
- New York City - MayDayNYC.org
- Bay Area, California - StrikeMay1st.com
- Chicago - ChicagoSpring.org/May1
- Southern California - OccupyMay1st.org
- Seattle - May1stSeattle.org